My answer to Elon Mask’s question

 



My answer to Elon Mask’s question, meaning, what was the tough problem that you met and how did you resolve it.

In September, 2018, we have had an annual meeting with university staff members including deans, deputy rectors and the rector. I had a speech as a last speaker, everyone was tired and wanted to leave already, but I was holding them with my speech. So, one of the professor simply started bombarding me with critics and questions, just to sum-up he was saying that our learning management system is extremely poor and IT is not dealing with it.  It was supposed to be welcoming and pleasant meeting, but for me it turned into a nightmare meeting. Indeed, I was very angry at first, for humiliating criticism addressed to me in front of three hundred and over professors including my supervisors and the rector.

After the meeting, I visited the office of the professor. He was very anxious and I was probably the last person who he would want to meet after this meeting. Instead of defending myself or attacking him, I turned him into my partner/consultant to develop a new custom based learning management system.  It took me 40 minutes of motivational talking, partnership to create world’s number one LMS system and apply for a patent. It worked. He turned out to be an excellent expert in this area and never lost his enthusiasm till we launched the first version of our Learning Board.  He was so excited to every feature that we were adding and adding to our LMS that he never stopped visiting my office to discuss about new features. All I had to do is turn his visions into a real working software by using my fabulous engineers. It took us a semester to complete the project.  As a result, besides our university the university of diplomacy in Tashkent is using our system and our university owns a patent for this system given to us by the intellectual property organization.  The best part of it is, our system handled the 100% online teaching during the COVID-19. The future plans are to turn this system into national learning management system and commercialize the customization services of it.  I do not know how long this Intranet system will live, but I’m happy that the 2018 September meeting have happened in my life.

Comments